Your Foundation doesn’t go on Vacation
We associate summer months with BBQ’s, vacations, and The Jersey Shore. While we are away we forget about the stress the summer months can put on our homes. The soils are ever changing around our homes and can be negatively affected by the heat. Think of the soil around your home as bowl of rice. When it is dry, it shrinks and creates voids around the foundation. When it is wet, it expands and puts pressure on your foundation walls. Both can be dangerous! Our foundations are made of porous materials and can be susceptible to water infiltration. At Quality 1st Basement Systems, we help homeowners fix these situations every day!
Some summertime tips for you:
- Get the water away from your house! If your downspouts are sitting right next to your foundation; where do you think that water is going? We recommend directing downspout water a minimum of 15 feet away.
- Remember to keep your gutters clean so the water can flow freely. This won’t solve your basement water or foundation issue but it is the first step in the right direction.
- Keep track of all your landscaping. If something is getting overgrown or growing too close to the house, get rid of it before it becomes a bigger issue.
- If you notice any horizontal, vertical, or stair step cracking, contact a Quality 1st Basement Systems expert to show you how we can accomplish your goals and exactly how much it will cost to repair. It is always less expensive to fix the problem in the beginning before it gets worse and more invasive procedures need to take place.
- Your basement can get very humid in the summer. This is from warm humid air coming into the cool basement space. This can make the basement feel damp, smell and even create mold. Keep an eye on the RH% in the basement. If it gets too high you will want to install a SaniDry Basement Air System. This will regulate the RH% to an acceptable level and help prevent mold and reduce odors. This is extremely important for family members who have asthma or allergies.
If you have any questions please feel free to call us at 1-844-268-0860 or contact us here for a free estimate.